Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 43

Thread: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Super Moderator
    Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Hi Cut-throat, I hope you don't ever plan on selling them as you may have a hard time selling that's why I feel it is always best to leave them stock.They will always be worth more money all original or stock Regards ~ A B

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Hi Cut-throat, I hope you don't ever plan on selling them as you may have a hard time selling that's why I feel it is always best to leave them stock.They will always be worth more money all original or stock Regards ~ A B
    On average you are probably right. -- But all you need is one buyer.

    With that said, I have had these horns for over 5 years now, and I just returned from the Denver RMAF and didn't hear anything that made me want to switch. I did see some nicer paint jobs on some horns though, which gave me the idea.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    What did you see in Denver that you liked?
    I was there but too busy too see/hear much.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Panomaniac View Post
    What did you see in Denver that you liked?
    I was there but too busy too see/hear much.
    The one system That I really liked was the Acapella Violin speakers powered by OTL Einstein Amps. -- Maybe $200K work of gear however.

    Classic Audio Reproductions has some nice horn speakers.

    Saw a lot more there that I didn't like however. -- A lot of Whiz Bang HIFI sound.

  5. #5
    HB Super Moderator
    Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Talking Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Cut-Throat View Post
    The one system That I really liked was the Acapella Violin speakers powered by OTL Einstein Amps. -- Maybe $200K work of gear however.

    Classic Audio Reproductions has some nice horn speakers.

    Saw a lot more there that I didn't like however. -- A lot of Whiz Bang HIFI sound.
    For $200K I would rather have a home for $190K and a $10K sound system to go into that home McIntosh/Altec Lansing but a $190K home maybe alittle small and same for the sound system!!!!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    Back to the original post if you really want to paint a pair of 1005's you should try and find a pair of 1005A's that are tar-filled all the dampening is inside the horn and would look better I have a pair and would be easier to paint that I think would look better than with the aquaplas coating.Take a look Regards ~ A B
    Maybe so, but the Horns are already at the paint shop and have a few coats on already. And considering how my horns are 'displayed' the 1005Bs may actually look better, because I see more of the inside of the horn than the outside. Here is a picture with the horn firing out into the listening area. The acoustic dampening is mostly hidden in the corner.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member doucanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Hey Kevin,

    Do you happen to have any updates (photos, thoughts) on your horn painting undertaking? I have thought about this also and am excited to hear/see how things turned out.

    I think I told you I had a pair of 804B's that are lacking adapters. Still lacking by the way, but I since then located some 203B's that provide direct bolt up to my 288's without the necessity of an addition adapter. The 203B's are not going to get a run in my main system for a couple of reasons, but I do have future plans for them.

    Although I agree that altering the finish from original may reduce interest from some hardcore Altec collectors, I really like the idea of creating a new look for mine also. Not sure how to deal with the damping material on the horns though. I assume that the process removed this on yours or did I miss something?

    RC

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Cut-Throat's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 15th, 2005
    Posts
    68
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    RC

    They are still in the Paint shop.I'll probably get them back within a week and post some pictures. The dampening material will remain intact. They just painted over the top of it. they did sand the entire front and inside surfaces though. I also had them take the top 'ears' off of the horn and sand smooth. I was only using the bottom ones to attach to my Speaker surface.

    Here are the horns with Primer finished and ready for Color Coat and then Clear. THis won't be too cheap though. Probably will cost me around $500. But I am going to live with these horns for a long time.

    10

    11

    12

  9. #9
    Inactive Member doucanoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2007
    Posts
    34
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    They look like they are coming along nicely! I look forward to seeing the finished result.

    RC

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Is their a Service that will custom Paint an Altec Horn?.....

    Just in primer they look better than the majority we see.

    I like the idea of embracing their complexity and enormity with a quality paint job and showing them off.

    Much akin to removing the hood and side panels on your '32 Ford hi-boy to show off that modern V8 and chrome.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.